Saturday, May 28, 2005

Yesterday seems so far away...

We were so busy yesterday by the time we got back to the hotel the internet cafe was closed. I'm tired today, so I'll keep this short and fill in later.

We saw the highlights at the Louvre... Mona Lisa, Venus De Milo, Winged Victory, some of the Egyptian exhibit (part of it was closed). I never knew the ceilings were so wonderfully painted there. It was quite a nice surprise.

We took a relaxing dinner cruise on the Siene River. It was very hot and the boat didn't provide an overly impressive view, but after a long day of walking it was nice to sit and eat. For the dinner itself we each got to choose from a menu of four items for the appetizer, main course and desert. I had the smoked salmon (not the best thing I've ever tasted, the sauce was too strong for my taste), the chicken in mushroom sauce (also stuffed with ground up mushroom, very nice), and coffee creme brule (can I say YUM?!), and two glasses of wine a piece. The second serving of water even had ice cubes in it, unfortunately they melted upon pouring the water into the glasses. It was kind of fun to see the Statue of Liberty's twin in front of the Eiffel Tower. (A scale model of New York Harbor's Statue of Liberty is mounted on a pedestal overlooking the Seine. The original full-size statue was completed in 1884 under the direction of sculptor Auguste Bartholdi. After being displayed for a year in Paris, it was dismantled and shipped to the United States as a gift from the people of France. source)

After the dinner cruise Michelle and I walked to the Eiffel tower with Larry, Nancy ,Lee, Joanne, and Bob so we could see it lit up at night. I must say, it was much more impressive this time around than it had been the first day we went to see it. They put on a light show every night at 10 p.m., the whole tower sparkles for 10 minutes. It's very pretty.

We took a bus to Versallis today. Very ornate, overwhelmingly so. More on that later, my brain is tired, and there's a city waiting out there for me to say goodbye.

I never heard from David...maybe I'll run into him at Sacre Couer tonight (Michelle and I are going back up to have a picnic on the steps).

This will be my last entry until I get back to the states. Michelle and I will edit these entries and add more after we get back and get settled in. I'll have the pictures up as soon as I can. We will also be doing an informal brown bag (sometime this summer) for those of you interested in seeing the pictures and hearing about our adventures in person. We'll keep you posted on that.

See you in a few days.

X's and O's
Julie

(As a side note...Have I mentioned all the stores we stopped in on this trip have had American music playing? It's a little odd and kind of comforting at the same time. Also...babies rarely seem to cry and dogs seem to walk themselves no need for leashes.)

No comments: