Saturday, May 21, 2005

Laundry

Today we had a bus tour of the city of Brussels population 1 million!

We visited the Grand Place or Grote Markt; it is definitely one of the top 5 places of this trip. Absolutely beautiful! Of course, on the way back we had a little difficulty trying to locate our way back to the hotel.

First, I asked a woman first, she was American; then I asked a man with a baby, success! At the next intersection, street signs really are difficult to figure out, I asked a store clerk; she was able to confirm the name of the street but couldn't speak enough English to tell us which way to go. Success: I found an American exchange student; total time to walk back to the hotel: 1 hour Time spent trying to find out which way to go: priceless

Julie and I did some laundry today. What an experience. First, we had to get tokens for the washer. Luckily, an African gentleman was able to help with that since he spoke English. Once past that obstacle, a very kind Brussels woman tried to tell me that the washing machine I was trying to use didn't work. However, I didn't get it until I tried to put my detergent in. What a hoot! Then, another woman wanted us to watch a wedding down the street - she had to pantomine a ring slipping over her finger before I got it. While I didn't necessarily come off as having the most intelligence at least I wasn't an Ugly American!

Can you tell that we finally found English keyboards? Its so much easier to type!

Tomorrow we're off to Brugge. It's one of Nick Scheverra's favorite spots.

No comments: