Monday, May 23, 2005

J'aime Paris

We took the high-speed train from Brussels to Paris this morning - backwards. It was hot and crowded and trying to get all of the groups' luggage aboard was quite an accomplishment. Luckily no one ended up wearing a 70lb suitcase for a hat.

The sky was beautiful, full of fluffy white clouds and as blue as blue can be.

I had butterflies again. Possibly in anticipation of the train ride, or maybe for Paris.

My first view of the Eiffel tower in Paris was on a postcard in the hotel lobby. I think somehow I had expected to see it there towering over me as I stepped out of the train station doors music swelling in the background.

We walked a short distance across the street to the most beautiful hotel of our entire trip. The room was simply lovely with its blue flowered wall paper, white cotton sheets and chair by the window. Perfect.

We spent the afternoon at MontMartre, which was different than I pictured it. It had several shops and a center section where artists painted and drew portraits of tourists. We stopped at the Sacre Coeur, possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on. There is a glass dome in the center of the ceiling flanked by stone angels. Amazingly detailed. It took my breath away. We saw the top of the Eiffel Tower peaking through the trees from the steps of the Sacre Coeur.



I can't believe I'm finally in Paris.

We had lunch in a cafe where the coke cost 6 euro per glass, the wine only 3.50. Guess which I chose. The ham and cheese crepes were much better than our omelets in Brussels.

Michelle and I split off from the group to do a little shopping. We ended up at the meeting spot a little early and started chatting with a couple of the portrait artists that hover in the streets. They were very friendly and gave up trying to get us to buy a portrait after a few minutes. One of them, a very attractive man with a lovely French accent, preyed on me for a little while, kissing my hand and flirting up a storm. He said something to Michelle about what beautiful children we would have because I'm so fair while he is so tan. Both of them had other jobs but come down to Montmartre to practice their skills and make some extra cash. When it started to rain the cute one invited me to sit with him in his rather nice car. I declined, choosing to stay with Michelle and the other artist. After the clouds dispersed he came back over and sat down almost on top of me then moved to sit in front of me putting his arms across my legs. He smelled very nice, he was oh so dreamy. We continued talking for a bit. Michelle asked them why we look like tourists, to which they couldn't reply in English but carried on a short conversation in French (I'm pretty sure it's the shoes).

They both got up when our tour group started to gather. When we were ready to leave I looked back and waved at the cute one who was standing across the road by that time. He called me over and when I got near him he grabbed my hand and kissed it again. He asked me if I would be back in the area later so that we could go off together alone. He said that he'd like to take me dancing, that he would be my tour guide in France and I could be his if he was ever in Chicago. He asked me for my number and when I said no he offered me his. I had him write it on a bag I got from a shop, he signed it "David". He asked me if I would call and I said I would try. As I turned he leaned in and gave me several soft kisses on my neck that made my knees go weak.


(David is on the left)

I have no plans of calling him, but we are planning on going back to Montmartre to listen to the music at Sacre Coeur later tonight. If I run into him there I'll chalk it up to fate and see where the night leads, if not, I've already had the best day ever.

One day in Paris and I'm already in love.

No comments: