Thursday, May 26, 2005

Bob, like time, marches on, and on, and on...

It's h-o-t, hot today...

Today was kind of a free day for us. Some of our group went to the French open, some went to Euro Disney. Michelle and I decided to stay with the main tour plans and go with Bob and Nick to see Jim Morrison's grave at the Pere Lachais cemeteryry, visit the Catacombs (which we found out after we got there are closed until June) and the Musee d'Orsay.

Finding Jim's grave in the cemetery felt a lot like a pilgrimage. It is nestled between several other graves and has gates around it in an attempt to keep people from destroying it any further. Several tombstones in the vicinity have names and dates and Doors lyrics scratched into them. We didn't see any loyal fans lighting up in his honor though.

We walked to the Luxembourg Gardens from the cemetery but Michelle and I just cut through with Nancy and Cindy as we decided to visit some shops and eat along the way to the Musee d'Orsay, rather than look at more flowers. Now that Michelle is out of film, with no plans to purchase more, I think she's lost some zest for visiting things that may be similar to what we have already seen. I have to confess, I am feeling the same. We'd prefer to be shopping and mingling with the people.

After walking for what seemed like an eternity, we stopped at a grocery store and bought premade salads, coke and candy and took it too a little park nearby to eat. It was a nice lunch.

We then began another long trek from the park to the Museum. By the time we got there we had blisters. The first of the trip. I guess we should be glad we made it this far into our travels with little trouble or pain. And, all in all, we really are not that bad off, just a little tired from a long day.

I really enjoyed the Museum. I think "Femme Nue Couchee" by Jean-Francois Millet was my favorite painting. Michelle likes "Raboteurs de parquets" by Gustave Caillebotte.

I have to catch up with Bob to find out the significance of a cat in a paining, there were several. Also, why the women who were wearing gloves always seemed to have one glove on and the other hand exposed.

I really enjoyed seeing Van Gogh's "The Church at Auvers 1890" visiting Auvers-sur-Oise and seeing the it in person yesterday.

I haven't heard from David yet. I'm not sure I'm up to going out with him tonight as it has been such a long day, but I may see if he would like to meet up on Saturday night so I can say goodbye to Paris in a way that fits the city of light and love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So why did you have to walk 5 miles? Couldn't the Metro get you close enough? 90 degrees but you probably aren't seeing many people wearing shorts. Do they wear capris?

St Chapelle is supposed to be stunning. I look forward to your photos.

Julie said...

We did take the Metro, but we also walked a ton between stops and around the places we visited. The sun didn't help.

Only tourists seemed to wear shorts. The locals wore capris, dresses and skirts and the men wore longer shorts kinda like bermuda style.

Very cute.