Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Not what I expected

Michelle covered most of our day very well, so I'll just fill in with a few of my thoughts.

I found these shoes (they look nicer in person) at the mall after we saw Star Wars (which I thought was good, better than the rest of the new ones, I loved the first light saber scene) and fell in love at first sight. They look better in person and cost a lot less online $75 vs. 100 euroes so I think I'll wait till I get home to buy them.

It was nice to finally see the Eiffel Tower up close and personal but somehow it was less impressive that I had imagined. Michelle thinks it is because we don't have a personal tie to it. We've only gone there to take pictures, not much of a memory, but we did have fun. But, the tower has been the symbol of Paris for me since I was a child, as it is for many others, and seeing it in all of its glory today just didn't warm my heart the way I thought it would. I liked it more the first day, peeking through the trees on the steps of the Sacre Couer.

Now when I think of Paris I will think of Montmartre and Sacre Couer, the metro and the beautiful countryside, the crowds and the heat and the friendly shop keepers. I will think of the amazing food and the architecture with its rich history and the artists both famous and unknown. And of course, when I think of my new Paris, I will think of the frenchman who melted my heart with one crinkly eyed smile.

No comments: