Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Land is Flat

Can you tell that Julie and I are fascinated by Paris? Well, it’s time to devote some discussions to the beginning of our trip….. the Netherlands.

Things-to-do Amsterdam
http://www.thingstodo-amsterdam.com/
Amsterdam, capital of the Netherlands.
This site is a wealth of information including history, museums, people, and neighborhoods. I’m looking forward to a canal cruise, sipping coffee, drinking beer, visiting the flower market, people watching… ooh to be there now.

Amsterdam is one of the flattest areas on the planet according to this website making it ideal for bicycle riding. How intrigueing. With a population of 750,000, estimates number the amount of bicycles owned from 400,000 to 800,000!



Van Gogh Museum
http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/bisrd/top-1-1.html
I am familiar with Van Gogh from art history courses taken early in my college career. However, I was never to drawn to his paintings – the movement especially in his popular items along with the colors were always a “little off” to me, disturbing in some cases.

After reading “Lust for Life,” the evolution of Van Gogh’s style in particular how the Impressionists influenced his work fascinated me. I also saw a quilt interpretation of “Starry Night” (1889) this past fall which drew my interest as well.

One of the strengths of this website
(Don’t forget to click on the English translation, upper right portion of the screen.)

No comments: