Monday, April 25, 2005

Parlez-vous français ?

No, not even close...

The day after I signed up for the trip I decided to learn as much French as possible before I arrived. With only three weeks left, that turns out to be not so much.

I borrowed the "French in Action" series on DVD from the library. I was only able to get through 5 or 6 of the 52 lessons before they were due back. After I returned them I found that there is a website located at http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html# which contains all of the "French in Action" videos online. They are made available to the public for free.

It's a pretty decent program. With the exception of the introductory film, they don't speak a word of English through the entire program. You learn by immersion as you follow the story of a young French woman's interactions with her family and friends. It would probably be great if I had more time to devote to it. I'm on the 10th video now, and I have a feeling I'll be clinging to my French/English dictionary the whole time I'm away.

Love,
Julie

No comments: